Sunday 13 December 2009

Farncombe Student Donations for "Walk Free" - thank you !

On Saturday 5 December we had 4 walkers who were doing John O’Groats to Lands End (only 1200 miles) staying at Farncombe. Think for a moment about the weather over recent weeks ……………….! Charlie, Nick, Claudia and Martin are raising money for two charities that work with women and children who are trafficked as slaves and with former child soldiers. Their website is www.walk-free.org.uk

My first job, in 1967, was teaching in Kenya and from 1973 to 1975 I worked for Unicef in the southern Sudan, so those two causes have an immediate pull for me. In addition I am planning to ride 2,500 miles round England via 30 cathedrals for the Family Holiday Association and for Wormwood Scrubs Pony Centre when I retire in 2013. I will buy the poor unsuspecting horse in the summer of 2012. So I have some empathy with those doing such things.

We asked the Farncombe students to support Charlie, Nick, Claudia and Martin and to encourage them, I agreed to give an additional 50p for every £1 raised.

I am delighted to say that on 7 December we paid £99 to the charities via the www.walk-free.org.uk website.

Well done Farncombe!

William

No comments:

Farncombe Estate Centre's Fan Box

Where to find us and what we do

Farncombe Estate is situated just outside the Cotswold village of Broadway. We are approximately 50 minutes from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol and easily located from the M5, M40 and M42.

There is a direct rail service from London Paddington to Moreton in Marsh which is our nearest rail station. To help rail travellers we offer a return taxi collection service from the station.

For a location map and further directions please visit our website.